Funny things about the Glaswegian

Weird yet Funny things to know about the Glaswegian 


I have previously shared topics like the Glaswegian slang and food and drink on this blog, but there are a number of other things I found noteworthy of sharing when studying in Glasgow or Scotland. I split this into two parts: Weird things to know about the Scottish and Things to know when studying here. Totally random but worth knowing!

Cars
Besides the obviously known fact that Scotland drives on the other side – and that brings confusion with it – there is something else that I noticed about the Glaswegian: they heat up their cars. From what I have come to know, nobody puts the heating as high in their cars as people here. But in Germany (and Canada), during the colder seasons you obviously have the heating on the car, but usually to a temperature where you would still keep your jacket on or only take it off for longer distance rides. But the cars are heated so much that you will sit inside with a t-shirt and leave the car with your winter jacket. It may seem silly to you when you read this, but every time I step into a car in Glasgow, I get such hot flashes it is unreal. If you are sensitive to temperatures like my foreign self, this is worth knowing!

Kilts 
From my foreign land you don’t see men in kilts, but in Glasgow that is different. Until about halfway through my first year living here, I was unaware of the history behind kilts and the meaning. I have a tendency to be a little too judgmental sometimes and so when I was talking to a friend about kilts and kind of teasing along the lines of “men wearing kilts”, he got defensive and that’s the reason I am mentioning it here. The Scottish are very proud of their kilts because it is a symbol of honor. And depending on their family history, the kilts will be of a certain color and pattern. This is what they look like for reference:

The Scottish Kilt is something they are very proud of - don't make fun of it.
I would imagine that everyone in Scotland is proud so this does not only apply to the Glaswegian. 

Comments

Popular Posts